I hadn't wanted to post this until I got it just right, but here it goes. I feel like this is superior to the "dry" carpet powders as well as the damp carpet shampoo powders that don't seem to deodorize very well.
- Baking Soda, 1lb box
- Your favorite fragrance oil or essential oil (I got mine off Amazon for cheap! I have Mango-Pineapple and Coconut fragrance oils)
- A medicine syringe for measuring, or an eyedropper
- A chopstick or stick to mix it up
- An airtight jar or container, around 32oz or slightly smaller. This fluffs up a bit!
- Empty the Baking Soda box into the jar. Take a full paper towel sheet or small rag, get damp and wring out excess water, put in the jar, and seal. Leave somewhere warm overnight or for 24 hours, to moisten the baking soda.
- The next day, remove your paper towel or rag. Using the chopstick, fluff up the baking soda, as it will have settled due to becoming damp. Taking your medicine syringe or eyedropper, add your essential or fragrance oil. Now, the amount you will add will be up to you. I suggest starting with 5 drops (Or 0.25mL), sealing the jar, and shaking, and checking how strong the fragrance is. Then you can add more as needed. For mine, I ended up adding 0.50mL, or about 10 drops-half Mango-Pineapple, half-Coconut. Shake well after adding your fragrance oil, and your carpet powder is ready to go!
- To use your new carpet powder, lightly sprinkle it over the area you want to clean. Now, you can either directly vacuum it up after 5-10 minutes, or you can take an extra step of rubbing it into the carpet to thoroughly deodorize it. I just use my plain rubber Swiffer head and run it over the carpet for this-works great!
Then just vacuum and enjoy the freshness!